DIY Cat5 Hotshoe Extension Cord
Want to have bulletproof, cheap off-camera flash, and still use TTL? I got a great idea for a DIY flash extension here: http://www.diyphotography.net/the-strobist-corner-extending-your-ttl-flash-cord. The author explains in a VERY detailed way how to do this. These more detailed photographs are provided for your additional viewing pleasure. Be sure to line up the wires carefully, and use cat5e patch cables ONLY--cross over cables will surely damage things. These are provided for your personal educational purposes, and I will not be responsible for damage to your equipment that may result.Read More
- Cat5e jacks- $5 at Home Depot, assorted colors
- Cat5e cable-make sure you get a patch cable, not a crossover. Anything from 5ft to 50 ft should work fine. (possible longer, YMMV)
- Off-Shoe Cable - they are Canon/Nikon specific, so match the brand to your camera body
- Punch down tool - included with most cat5e jacks.
- Scissors - sharper, the better